Important Factors of On-Site SEO
You have an online business and trying to get more traffic to your website or your online store, right? Indeed you can. But have you ever think that search engines are the real predators and they need to be optimized to channel the relevant traffic to your website instead of sending it to your competitor’s website? Indeed you tried, but do you think that what have you done to optimize your search engine was the right approach? This is something absolute question mark because with the every passing day, search engines are getting even smarter and developing even more advanced and smart algorithms to eliminate the black hat factors. Google is the leader in search and uses more than 200 ranking factors in its search algorithms and more than 80 per cent of them were developed and introduced in past few years or months. All this confirms that the search engine optimization requirements are subjected to a real time changing and it is getting harder to keep up with the most advanced development in the search engine algorithms.
Do you know the Search engine optimization ranking factors that can make a real difference to your business? It is easy to name or list them, even I can list all 200 factors that Google uses in its algorithms but it would have no worth until getting a better understanding on things that why and how they happen? On page SEO is something that brings better results, more traffic and ultimately more sales. If the onsite SEO would be missed, no one would be able to find you online. The process of optimizing the search should start from your own online place, a website or a store, it must be 100 percent user friendly and the search engine friendly. Never make a website for the search engine only and it should be an On Page SEO triggered website.
What is on-site SEO?
On-page SEO also known as on-site SEO is the practice of optimizing elements on a website (as opposed to links elsewhere on the Internet and other external signals collectively known as “off-site SEO”) in order to rank higher and earn more significant traffic from search engines. On-site SEO refers to optimizing both the content and HTML source code of a page in the true sense of the on-site SEO. It refers to every single effort you put in your website from adding quality content to internal pages linking and from images to the URL structures, from page titles to headings. It is all about helping the search engine and its crawlers and spiders to read and rank your web pages and interpret the content and message of your website properly and easily. On-Site SEO is the soul of user experience, for example, if there is a shoe shop at high street [refers to your website]and they have marketed it well on all mediums including blogs, news, social media and even on television [refers to off-site SEO], to convey their message to the target audiences. They conveyed their message well. People started visiting their store, [which is traffic], now you think that you have enough people on your shop, but they are not actually buying, here is something you missed which is called optimization of your shop to enhance the user experience. Referring to the on-site SEO search engines are all in all decision makers that who would be sent to your page, and for this purpose, search engine algorithms came in first and crawlers examine and index your pages on the search engine. On-Site SEO helps you in two different ways;
- Makes the website search engine friendly. It helps search engine to understand what user would see, what value you are offering to them if they visit your page. Spiders crawl and index the website more easily and search engine algorithms analyses it for higher rankings.
- It offers better user experience which Google says is everything for ranking, Google considers it good quality content that serves the visitors against a particular keyword.
Beyond getting higher rankings and helping the search engine to read your website well, on-site SEO is necessary for both search engines and Human traffic to understand what your website is all about. Find out what value you are giving to your users and what pages are actually useful and worth of ranking higher on SERPs.
Is on-page SEO more important than off-page SEO?
Indeed it is, in order to achieve the maximum ranking in the search engines and giving your user good value, on-site SEO is a must do the thing and it comes before off-page SEO, thus the importance increases straightaway. It is more important when it comes to the websites. The most important here is not what is more beneficial, but the important is how to get ranked higher in Google’s SERPs. There are few factors that help you push your pages higher in the SERPs.
1) ‘Speak’ the search engines language:
One of the most core points in the on-site SEO is to present your web pages in a way Google says to be. And it makes more sense pull in the on-page SEO and right user friendly-pages in search engine’s language. You should get it right on your web pages rather than vexing into other things and trying to sway search engines with off page SEO and believe it would give you a better ranking. Search engines are programmed software and use complex algorithms, how they can see your website like a human user? But a particular language required for them which can be an HTML language.
So, don’t you think that by speaking in their language on the back screen you can achieve your goal, by giving them strong signals with a thoughtful web page structure, rich in well optimized meta tags, optimized content and all what search engine needs? The more you speak search engine language, the better search engine would understand you and give you higher rankings.
2) On Page SEO about the users:
Never forget your human traffic and your primary goal which ultimately is to keep your users happy and satisfied. Just like in the example of a shoe store, off-page SEO might bring the traffic in, but results would be zero until On-Site SEO would be neglected or practiced in an unprofessional way.
3) Many website owners get it wrong and lost their business even before starting:
The shocking but true factor in the online world is getting things wrong and in the case of SEO, the majority of website owners do not get it seriously and they are not optimized for search engines. Despite the lower level of understanding of SEO, website owners believe it is not worth trying, and if they try, they quit even before SEO starts ripping the fruits. Its slow and steady process keeps you on top of the rankings. For quick results, On-Page SEO has a lot to offer.
4) Sometimes, its just the Page SEO is all you need:
If you are a small business and operating locally, then you might be looking for the local traffic and it needs local customers searching on the Google and come to you, then, all you need is the On-Site SEO.
5) Off page SEO no way can come before on page SEO:
Before even thinking about promoting your website with the off-page SEO techniques, it is necessary that the website must be optimized to save you bounce rates and higher conversions. The website should be in good condition and structure, and there is no way but On-Page SEO. So, it is clear to step in with on-site SEO to optimize your website and then go for off-site.
10 pearls of on-Site SEO
- Content quality
- Page titles and meta descriptions
- structured content – content SEO
- Headings and content formatting
- Images and other multimedia elements
- URL optimization
- Internal links
- External links
- Page loading speed
- Mobile friendliness
On-Page Search Engine Optimization
The content of the Page
The content on the page is something that makes it worthwhile to rank on the top as search engine reads it according to the search terms coming from the users. The content is something users come to see and the quality of the content is extremely important for all parties, the search engine, user and the owner of the website. So, what is the good content then? From an SEO perspective, the good content must have two attributes where it must answer to all those questions that a user has asked in search engine, secondly it must be linkable to other sources outside the website and on the other pages inside the website.
Good content supplies a demand:
The good content that search engines like to show on top is something that does the best job of answering the questions and covering the massive demand online e.g. a group of websites offering software solutions to the users, eBay is offering a massive market to sellers, Wikipedia is offering articles and a lot of content on demand. Similarly, Wikipedia has something for everyone from a definition of web 2.0 to types of replacement engines for your vehicle.
Good content is linkable:
So, the SEO perspective of content is its ability to offer links to other pages on the same website and outside the website. There is a very rare chance that search engine would rank any content which is not linked and it won’t be able to drive traffic to your website. It has a lot more important than the One might believe or thinks.
On-Site SEO Factors
On-site SEO starts on the web pages of your own website and it is all about optimizing the webpage as user loves to see and write in the language of the search engine. It applies to more than 10 parts of a webpage. Where starting from the page title through website content to the responsiveness of the device, everything involves. Let’s see the most important factors of the On-Site SEO, what it involves.
The page title of the webpage is something like the identification plate of your vehicle or your house. The page titles are the most vital SEO Factors to be considered on each page of your website, even it is a webpage itself, a blog post or a video content, and it should have a descriptive title written in search engine’s language. The title on each and every page should have unique content and it must include the main keyword of the page.
Therefore, if you are selling used and reconditioned engines in the UK, it is vitally important you should include Reconditioned engines for sale, or buy used engines, replacement engines etc. in your main title of the page. Why it is important to do it? It is very simple, whenever, the user would search for an engine, they would type in a search term, your webpage has an imperative chance to get ranking and come on the top.
Meta descriptions are something website owners forget to include in their web pages. The Meta descriptions are a highly important part of the webpage and they include a number of important keywords and abstract your overall page in few words. The Meta descriptions form the search snippets in the SERPs. Search engine starts from title and Meta descriptions to rank your pages.
For example, if we keep using the engines business example, the best possible Meta description must include a set of keywords arranged in a form that can describe the overall purpose of the webpage. The short and descriptive Meta descriptions are good and they must include the specific and well-formed keywords. A keyword research is one of the most imperative tasks to do before starting SEO on your website.
When conducting a detailed keyword research, you would get all the relevant keywords for your niche. These keywords on the bases of search volume should be formed to write the Meta tags. Building up the Meta tags for your website or webpage is one of the most important things, you can only get the top rankings if your Meta tags are up to the mark and including the keywords with a high volume of searches on the web. There are many SEO plugins available in the market to form Meta tags but they do not show search volume and click through rate and other factors which are important to measure the health of a keyword. This is the point where professional research involved and you must use an SEO agency to do all these tasks.
The web URLs are something that search engine uses as an address reference to your webpage and make it unique out of the trillions of web pages across the World Wide Web. So, it is important and highly recommended that they must be search engine friendly URLs for each page built on your website. Search engine friendly URLs offer better crawling on the web pages and according to the research, short URLs- perform better in the search engine results but keep in mind that the short URLs is not the only factor in all this process of optimizing the webpage. The URLs that include the main keyword also perform better in the search engine. In this way, the location of the keyword and pages on the website influences a lot and these URLs perform way better than those which come with the page ids. Relevant keywords in the URLs perform better and they must be created with the help of professionals.
- Body Tags
After the Meta tags, body tags in the webpage content also play a vital role when a search engine crawls the web page. When writing your web page content or even the article posted on your page it must include body tags e.g. h1, h2, h3, h4, and h5 etc. search engine crawlers determine the important things on your webpage with the help of these body tags.
Usually and mostly, the H1 body tags are reserved to the main title of your web page and others used to construct the overall web page. Just like the One used in this post is the heading of the post and rest of the headings are according to the overall importance of the things. Headlines again have a full science involved to construct them, they work like a net to catch a fish, e.g. user. And search engine uses them to build their own snippets. Sometimes search engines use all the headings with a smaller piece of content to show in the results. Thus they must be constructed in a better way.
Keyword rich headings play a vital role in search engine result pages and they must be ranked in order to priorities the content. The crawlers crawl the important content first thus it is the responsibility of the SEO agency you hired to build the headings in accordance to the importance of content and use a reasonable amount of keywords on the web pages.
- Keyword Density
Adding up the relevant keywords to your web page content is very important the thing is search engines take is as an offensive act if you add more than the recommended amount of keywords on the web page. Although the relevant keywords help the search engine to determine that what the web page is all about but at the same time the excessively used keywords can push the page other way. The minimum penalty for this practice in white hat SEO is a drop in the rankings and the maximum penalty is banned from the search engine. What is the best practice to use the keywords, search engines suggest it at roughly 2 percent to 5 percent on a web page? But if they can be used in a well-managed way, you can use an even lower amount of keywords to get the best results. This can be done by hiring a professional content writing agency and usually, the SEO agencies offer this service at small extra when you hire them with a package of optimizing your website.
- Image SEO
Now the images are the next big thing, Google can now read your images as well, and the human brain process an image 3000 times faster than content, thus the best practice is to use images in your in your web page content. It would make your web page visually great and appealing, and break up the factor of boringness on the web pages. These images would help you improve the SEO of your web site.
The images you want to upload must have titles and alt tags, so just need to treat them as you treat your entire webpage with everything discussed so far including titles, keywords, and descriptions.
This way your website can be found using the Google images as well.
- Internal Linking structure
It is generally perceived that the only link counts and brings power to your web page is the link coming from any other website which an absolutely wrong perception. Although the links coming from other websites are important it is wrong to say that they are the only important links. Internal linking to your web pages is also important and brings the power to the search engines. These links help the crawlers to better understand your website even from the single page. The internal links considered as a strong weapon in the SEO and not only does it easy for your users to navigate between the different pages but also help the search engines to understand and get crawled well. The internal linking also plays a vital role in building the relevancy factor of the pages to the relevant keywords and phrases on the web page. It also helps to achieve the better Google page rank for your web pages, posts and parts of the website.
Permanent navigation links used in the breadcrumbs also the part of internal linking and plays a vital role in navigating the user to other pages. Adding main menus, footer links and other featured links like videos and iframes also help improve the internal linking.
These most crucial SEO factors are some of the most ways that can help to improve the on-site SEO and another important thing is that anyone using them independently of the other techniques won’t make such a big difference to your website but if used in relation to these important factors can make a real difference. An SEO expert agency or an SEO expert can co-relate these factors with other factors because it is hard to use any of them independently or even they can cause a drop in the ranking as well if not used properly.
The SEO factors help your website and even the individual pages work better and ultimately help the search engine crawlers and spiders to read your web pages well. They also help your website to open in the least minimum time which will help to decrease the bounce rate of the web page as well. These factors are crucial to increasing the value of the internal pages and building the strong relevancy between pages to the specific keywords. So, it requires some time to conduct a good in-depth research on the website that what actually it needs to improve on the search engine. You can use the following checklist to make sure what is missing on your website and what actually is there and is not working, the reasons behind the factors already used in the web page but not working, need to be analyzed by a professional to find out the issues and fix them accordingly.
On-Page SEO Checklist
Before you start analyzing your web pages, you must make sure that you know the difference between on-site SEO and off-site SEO and has sufficient experience to implement the changes. Start working on the following checklist and review the following things.
- Review the quality of your website content, it must contain the attributes of being useful, readable, well needed, optimized and well researched.
- Review the page titles of your web page and see if there are main keywords are already, if not then add main keywords and if they are already there, then you have missed some main part of the research during the keyword research. You might need new research on keywords as these might have low or no search volume. Add new main keywords, power words and also some numbers of greater influence related to your page.
- Review your Meta descriptions according to the actually recommended lengths and use the power words and main keywords first than any other explanation. A unique Meta description for all your pages would have a great chance to push them up in the search results. The well-written Meta description must include your target keywords, the main function of the business and target audience and region.
- Up to this point, if everything is already there and you are practicing these things already but still ranking below the top page. It is recommended to conduct the keyword research again and this time makes sure that you are using your target keywords in the titles and main content headings.
- Find related search terms, group the main keywords and power words and use them in your headings and content.
- Using the body tags, make sure that you are using the only one H1 tag per page, do not over jam-pack the page with several similar tags.
- Draft your content by using the headings, hierarchically on the page and use body tags in an order H1, H2, H3 and so on.
- Inspect your HTML on the page and beautify your content by giving the content styling, use bold, italics and minified CSS.
- If you are not using the images on your web pages, add some images to the web pages and make sure you are using the optimized images with minimum viable size but more high definition quality and other multimedia elements. Make sure using the ALT Text and alt tags to the images and multimedia files.
- Coming to the page address, make sure the URL structure is a search engine and SEO friendly that you’re URL Structure mimics your site structure.
- Construct the better internal links structure and use them to your content and web page other areas.
- Make a well planned and good structure of outbound links and add them to your web page content if it is already there, you need to reconcile all the links for the quality of the pages you are linking to, never use lower quality pages to out link your web page.
- Use any best page speed insight tool to check your web page load time and speed, make sure that your web page loads in less than 3 seconds at both smaller screens and desktop screens. The longer your website would take to load, the bigger the bounce rate would be.
- Use some CRO techniques to make sure that your website is mobile friendly and works better on mobile screens.
- Finally, when everything is good, you must encourage comments on your website but make sure to publish only comments that make some sense and good to be used on your webpage.
What An Ideally Optimized Web Page must contain
An ideally optimized web page which search engines love to push up should use all of the following factors.
- Relevancy is the key to get ranking on any web page. So, be hyper-relevant to a specific topic, a product, or a single object, whatever you are using on your website. This must include,
- Include your main idea and target subject in the title tag
- Include the target subject in URL and meta tags
- Include the target subject in image titles and image alt text
- Try to specify subject multiple times throughout content of the website
- Make sure the quality of the content should be higher than standard, unique and relevant about a targeted subject area, audiences, and markets.
- Link every page back to its main category page
- Link subcategory pages to the web page you are focusing on (If applicable)
- There must be a home page link on every web page and it usually comes from your logo on the page or a home button. Showing the website logo on the top left of a page is the best practice. It is better you should determine the errors and fixes on your website yourself, or hire a reputed SEO agency to take all the pain for you as the SEO is a slow process but sustainable process and professionals can handle it in a better way than you can do.